Is Your Heartburn Actually GERD?
30 million adults in the US have GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease.
What causes GERD?
A weak muscle between the stomach and esophagus allows stomach acid to escape and flow up into the esophagus.
Heartburn is a key GERD symptom, especially if:
- Your heartburn occurs twice or more each week
- It affects your sleep
- It persists, becomes more severe
- You've had heartburn regularly for several years
Other GERD symptoms:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Shortness of breath, wheezing
- Chest pain
- Chronic, non-productive dry cough
Have these symptoms? Call Consult-a-Nurse team at 804-320-3627 to find a specialist.