The best Virginia gynecologic care
At Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, we understand that your first priority is finding expert gynecologic cancer care. Our gynecologic oncologists are proud to be a part of the Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery and are specially trained physicians to care for women with gynecologic cancers such as cervical cancer, endometrial cancer, uterine cancer and ovarian cancer.
Our multidisciplinary team of experts focuses on compassionate, quality care with the goal for each patient to live a healthy and active lifestyle. They:
- Participate in dedicated multi-specialty gynecologic cancer conferences to discuss individual patient cases and determine the most effective treatment as quickly as possible.
- Specialize in minimally invasive robotic surgery, which offers precise control and access to hard-to-reach areas and allows complex surgeries to be performed through a few small incisions.
- Provide genetic assessment, counseling and testing in their office for those who have certain kinds of gynecologic cancer or concerns about their personal and/or family history of cancer.
- Offer access to national clinical research trials and leading-edge therapies.
Cancer Support Services
Gynecologic cancer screening
Gynecologic cancer screening begins with yearly pelvic exams at your doctor’s office. During this exam, your doctor may complete a Pap smear. The Pap test is one of the most reliable and effective cervical cancer screening tests available. Your doctor may also use the HPV test to screen for cervical cancer. The HPV test can provide more information if you receive an unclear Pap test result.
As with most cancers, early detection is the key to effective treatment. Speak with your doctor about your risk and screening/examination for gynecological cancer.
Diagnosis of gynecologic cancer
We recognize the degree of stress that comes with a diagnosis of cancer. Our goal is to work together to restore your quality of life and give you the emotional support you need. We understand the importance of treating not only the disease but you as an individual.
The physical exam, combined with all of your test results, including biopsies and information from surgeries, will help to determine the type and stage of cancer. Doctors use staging to guide your treatment plan. Like other cancers, gynecological cancers are staged from stage I through stage IV. Stage I is a very localized cancer while stage IV indicates a spread to other parts of the body.
Gynecologic cancer treatment
Your body is unique, and cancer affects each person in a different way. That's why your care team at Henrico Doctors' Hospital will customize your gynecologic cancer treatment to give you the best possible outcome.
We offer comprehensive cancer care, including innovative surgical technology and minimally invasive robotic surgery. These surgical techniques provide patients with reduced pain, less scarring and a faster recovery. Our team will guide you through the process of determining the least invasive and most effective gynecologic cancer treatment options.
In some cases, your treatment may include chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Whatever your course of treatment involves, our specialists are here to care for you.
Complete gynecologic cancer support
The more you know, the better your outcome can be. That's why we integrate education and support throughout our program of care. You benefit from our broad range of services, including:
- Access to support groups for you and your caregivers.
- Infusion services staffed by chemotherapy-certified nurses who provide ongoing education and support.
- Access to the on-campus American Cancer Society Cancer Resource Center where you can use written materials and computer access to further research your disease and treatment plan.
Gynecologic oncology nurse navigator
If you need any further testing, biopsy or high-risk counseling, our dedicated gynecologic oncology nurse navigator will work closely with you and your doctors so you'll receive the treatment, care, education and support you need.