Cardiovascular surgery in Richmond
The highly trained surgeons at Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, are experienced in performing routine, minimally invasive and advanced heart surgeries. You can feel confident that your heart is in good hands when you choose Henrico Doctors’ Hospital for your cardiac care. Recognized as a High-Performing Hospital for Heart Bypass Surgery by U.S. News & World Report and a Recipient of the Vascular and Coronary Intervention Excellence Award by Healthgrades™, we are proud to be among the top 10 percent in the nation for cardiology services. Additionally, Healthgrades™ named Henrico Doctors’ Hospital a Top 50 Hospital for Vascular Surgery and Top 100 Hospital for Coronary Intervention Procedures.
Find a heart surgeon at Henrico Doctors' Hospital.
Heart and vascular surgeries and procedures we offer
Not all cardiac conditions are alike, and neither are heart surgeries. At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, our cardiovascular surgeons treat heart conditions with a variety of surgical procedures:
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
- Aortic valve replacement
- Mitral valve replacement
- MitraClip (transcatheter mitral valve replacement)
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
- Heart wall closure procedures
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Transcarotid artery revascularization (we are the first and only site in Richmond to perform this procedure)
- Minimally invasive endovascular repair for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
- Cardiac device implantation procedures, including pacemakers and ICDs
- Cardiac ablation procedures for heart arrhythmias
Cardiac catheterization lab
Henrico Doctors’ Hospital has an onsite cardiac catheterization laboratory that is equipped with the latest monitoring and imaging equipment and is open 24 hours a day. While cardiac catheterization is often used during heart diagnostic testing, it is also a minimally invasive treatment option for a range of heart procedures that used to have be performed through traditional heart surgery.
Heart procedures performed in our cardiac cath lab include:
- Balloon angioplasty
- Coronary and carotid artery stenting
- Peripheral diagnostic angiograms
- Stenting of peripheral vessels and other techniques to remove plaque and restore blood flow to the heart
- Diagnostic catheterization tests
- Transesophageal ECHOs to determine whether blood vessels are blocked
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
TAVR is a minimally invasive surgical option that repairs the heart valve without removing the old, damaged valve. Instead, it wedges a replacement valve into the aortic valve’s place. Below, Dr. Robert Levitt, from Henrico Cardiology Associates, discusses the groundbreaking TAVR procedure and how it is performed.
Treatment for heart arrhythmia
Arrhythmias are disruptions in the rhythm of the heart’s electrical system, causing an irregular heartbeat the patient to experience chest pain, fluttering in their chest, lightheadedness or to faint. Heart arrhythmias can be harmless, but they may increase a person’s risk for stroke or heart failure.
Advanced surgical techniques to treat arrhythmia
When your arrhythmia requires more complex treatment than medication, Henrico Doctors' Hospital offers a range of treatment options, including::
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Catheter ablation
- Coronary bypass artery grafting (CABG)
Types of arrhythmias we treat
Our experienced cardiovascular specialists treat a wide range of arrhythmias:
- Atrial fibrillation (afib)
- Atrial flutter tachycardia (heart beats too fast)
- Bradycardia (heart beats too slow)
- Supraventricular tachycardia
- Wolf Parkinson White syndrome
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Neurogenic disorders such as syncope
- Other complex arrhythmias
Surgical care for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
An aneurysm occurs when a weakened section of an artery fills with blood and balloons out. Abdominal aortic aneurysms develop in the aorta and, if ruptured or burst, can cause internal bleeding and possible hemorrhage. At Henrico Doctors' Hospital, we offer minimally invasive endovascular repair to treat AAA.
State-of-the-art hybrid operating room
Henrico Doctors' Hospital is committed to staying at the forefront of technology, which is why we invested in a hybrid operating room (OR). Our hybrid OR combines the capabilities of a traditional OR with fixed imaging equipment, allowing advanced medical imaging procedures to be performed during minimally invasive surgeries.
Before, some patients may have had to undergo multiple surgeries in multiple room on separate days to fully treat the same condition; in our hybrid OR, our experienced surgeons can perform all needed surgery in the same room on the same day.
Procedures performed in our hybrid operating room include TAVR, MitraClip, transcatheter mitral valve replacement and certain vascular surgeries.
Benefits of our hybrid OR
This type of "one-stop shopping" for a single surgery results in several benefits for our patients:
- Reduced risk of infection
- Improved patient safety
- Less time in surgery
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery