High-risk pregnancy care in Richmond, Virginia
The Women’s Hospital at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, in partnership with Commonwealth Perinatal, offers the most comprehensive care for high-risk pregnancies in Henrico County. We go above and beyond in our prenatal care for high-risk mothers, and our maternal-fetal medicine doctors, also called perinatologists, are some of the most experienced in the Richmond metropolitan area.
Whether you are expecting multiples or have a health condition that may affect pregnancy, you and your baby are in caring, skilled hands.
For more information or questions about our high-risk pregnancy care, please call our high-risk perinatal navigator at (804) 289-4704.
Complete maternal-fetal care services
Families trust the high-risk pregnancy care at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital for:
- Leading expertise. Our fellowship-trained maternal-fetal medicine doctors work closely with a team that includes your regular OB/GYN, genetic counselors, experienced nurse practitioners and other healthcare professionals. We all work together to ensure the best possible outcomes for you and your baby.
- Unmatched antepartum care. Our new, 27-bed antepartum unit was designed with your comfort in mind. If you need to be hospitalized during your pregnancy, you will find a home-like environment that includes comfortable beds, natural lighting and the latest technology.
- 24/7 critical newborn care. If needed, our on-site Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) provides lifesaving care for our tiniest and most critically ill infants.
- Advanced pediatric services. If your child has a condition that will require continued medical care during childhood, you can take comfort knowing that our hospital offers a full range of pediatric services, including a pediatric ER and hospital and specialty care onsite
- Specialized care for neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS). We help newborns cope with, and overcome, withdrawal symptoms caused by NAS. Our maternal substance disorder program offers respectful care and support to moms, infants and families affected by substance abuse.
Take our 3D tour
Advanced care for most high-risk conditions
A pregnancy is deemed to be high risk if a condition, including your age, gives you and/or your baby a greater-than-normal chance of complications. These complications could occur during pregnancy, labor or after delivery. We provide maternal-fetal care for many conditions and situations, including:
- Maternal age of under 17 or over 35
- Carrying twins, triplets or other multiples
- Pre-existing medical conditions, including high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, epilepsy, lupus and HIV.
- Medical problems that develop during pregnancy, including gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and preterm labor
- History of miscarriage or other pregnancy complications
- Substance use during pregnancy
- Placenta problems, including placenta previa, placenta accreta or placental abruption
- Fetal growth or development problems
- Personal or family history of genetic conditions
- Personal or family history of birth abnormalities
Pregnancy Complications - Henrico Doctors' Hospital
Meet Yvette, Director of the Antepartum Unit at The Women's Hospital
The Brown's Story - A Special Twin Delivery - Henrico Doctors' Hospital
Infertility Patients – Henrico Doctors’ Hospital