Birth center in Richmond, Virginia
We provide safe, supportive labor and delivery care at The Women’s Hospital at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Richmond. Our team of OB/GYNs delivers more babies than any other hospital in central Virginia, including 1,000 annual births by our certified nurse midwives.
We are committed to doing everything we can to prepare you for labor and delivery and to maintain the health of you and your baby throughout your pregnancy.
The Women’s Hospital is proud to be a recipient of the Healthgrades™ Labor and Delivery Excellence Award for superior performance in labor and delivery. These awards place our facility in the top 10 percent of all hospitals evaluated for exceptional care of mother during labor and delivery.
To learn more about our labor and delivery services, call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (804) 320-3627.
Comprehensive maternity care from conception through delivery
From expert guidance during prenatal appointments to compassionate postpartum care, our maternity services are tailored to the needs and preferences of each expectant mother.
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Midwifery services
- Neonatal intensive care
- Maternal addiction services
Take our 3D tour
Prenatal care—the first nine months
Whether you’re starting or expanding your family, we help you stay healthy, plan for birth and provide education so you can care for your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of free classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, caring for newborns,and preparing your family for the new baby’s arrival.
- Personalized birth planning. Our birth coordinator helps you design your perfect birth experience. We offer midwifery services and low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management, wireless and water-submersible fetal monitoring, aromatherapy, delayed umbilical cord clamping and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- One-on-one guidance. If you’re having a scheduled birth or C-section, you’ll meet with our nurses to discuss how to prepare and what to expect.
- High-risk pregnancy care. It’s natural to feel nervous if you’re carrying multiples, have certain medical conditions or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery. But you can take comfort knowing our specialists routinely and successfully care for women considered high risk.
For questions or concerns, please contact our perinatal navigator at (804) 297-1547 or by email.
Customized, comfortable childbirth experience
When it is time for your baby’s birth, we do everything we can to provide a calm, soothing and relaxing environment. The Women’s Hospital at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital provides:
- A private, intimate labor experience. Our hospital features recently renovated, spa-like rooms that allow you to labor your way with the constant support of your caregiver or support person. We offer soaking tubs for hydrotherapy, color therapy lighting, private bathrooms and comfortable sleeping arrangements for your spouse or partner.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. You and your family will feel right at home throughout your labor and delivery. At our hospital, snacks are available for you and your partner and you also have access to a family kitchen. Your extended family will have plenty of room in our spacious waiting areas.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our hospital offers the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency cesarean sections.
Postpartum care and ongoing support
Following your child’s birth, you and your child will receive our full support and attention until you are ready to leave the hospital and following your discharge home. Our postpartum services include:
- Family-centered care. We support couplet care, also known as rooming in, so you can bond with your newborn in a private setting. This means that your baby stays with you in your room at all times, even during examinations. Additionally, the same nurse will provide continuous care for you and your child.
- Comprehensive breastfeeding support. If you are experiencing nipple pain or can’t get your baby to latch, our on-site, international board-certified lactation consultants are here to help. After discharge, you can talk to a lactation consultant or sign up for one of our breastfeeding support groups by calling (804) 289-4977.
- Access to donor milk. If your child needs more breast milk than you can supply, we offer human milk from donors.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It is natural to feel overwhelmed by the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to do it alone. Learn more about our postpartum depression services, please call (804) 977-5862.
Why choose Henrico Doctors' as your maternity hospital?
When you choose to have your child at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, you will receive individualized care with a birth coordinator who personally explains and walks you through the entire labor and delivery process. Families continually choose us because:
- Our team is experienced. We have provided Henrico County with expert maternity care for more than 30 years, delivering around 4,000 babies every year. Our multidisciplinary team of caregivers, including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives, work together to make sure every delivery is safe and smooth.
- We are recognized by The Joint Commission and Healthgrades™. We were the first hospital in Virginia to earn The Joint Commission’s Perinatal Care Certification. This recognition confirms that we follow evidence-based standards for a safe, patient-centered experience before and after delivery. We also received the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award designated by Healthgrades™, placing The Women’s Hospital in the top 10 percent of all hospitals evaluated for exceptional care of mothers during labor and delivery.
- We respect your choices. No one knows what is better for your body and family than you. We support your preferences and will help you plan a comfortable, memorable delivery that is focused on your needs. We also welcome and support doula care and can connect you to a private doula in Richmond.
- You and your baby are safe with us. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it is vital to choose a birth center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We have an in-house, 40-bed, Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for premature or critically ill newborns. Our NICU also employs enhanced security measures to keep your newborn safe.
- Continuous care for the entire family. Henrico Doctors’ Hospital offers specialized healthcare for all of your family’s needs, from birth to old age. Our services include pediatric emergency care, hospital and specialty care and women’s health services for every stage of life.
- Valet parking and convenient access. There is no need to stress about getting in and out of our facility. We provide stress-free access to The Women’s Hospital, including ample free parking and valet services at two entrances.
Tours and free maternity classes
We offer the opportunity for expectant parents to familiarize themselves with our birth center before labor and delivery. During our guided tour, you will learn where to check-in on the big day, see our labor and delivery rooms and postpartum area up close, peek into the well-baby nursery and have a chance to ask questions about your hospital stay.
Tours of our birth center are free, but registration is required. You can register for a tour online or call us at (804) 320-3627.
The maternity experts at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital are here to help you learn to trust your instincts and feel confident in becoming a parent through our maternity classes. Our classes provide the opportunity to learn up-to-date information and advice about pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood.
Maternity classes offered at Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Labor Basics I and II. This two-part class answers all of your questions about labor and delivery. Topics include the stages of labor, when to call the doctor or go to the hospital, comfort measures, pain control options, birth options, immediate newborn care and postpartum recovery. This class spans two separate two-hour sessions for a total of four hours.
- Breastfeeding 101. This two-hour class introduces breastfeeding and covers topics including milk production, how to tell if your baby is full, breastfeeding obstacles and rewards, pumping, breast milk storage and more.
- Baby Basics I and II. If you are feeling unsure about how to care for your infant, you are not alone. In this class, we discuss your newborn’s appearance, feeding, bathing, umbilical cord care, sleep safety and baby-proofing your home. We also provide tips for selecting your baby’s pediatrician. This class spans two separate two-hour sessions for a total of four hours.
- Boot Camp for New Dads. This practical, three-hour class is led by experienced dads, some of whom will bring their own babies to class. They will help you understand what to expect during your baby’s first year. Topics include crying, feeding, diaper changing and ways to support your spouse or partner.
- Fast Track. This two-hour refresher course is designed for parents who are having another baby and want a reminder about what to expect during labor and delivery. We will review true versus false labor, the stages of labor, postpartum recovery and more.
- Mindful Preparation for Conception—A Holistic Approach. This two-hour class explores how to naturally boost fertility and maintain a healthy pregnancy. You will learn about the power of nutrition and the potential benefits of integrative medicine practices, such as acupuncture, mindfulness and restorative yoga.
- Meet the Midwives. This event offers you the chance to learn more about midwifery, how our program works, if it's the best fit for you and how to sign up for our midwifery services. You'll also have the opportunity to meet some of our certified nurse midwives and get to know them while asking any questions you may have. Meet the Midwives takes place on the third Saturday of each month at 1:00pm in the Nelson Education Room at Henrico Doctors' Hospital.
- MyBirth Low-Intervention Birth Preparation. This intensive, six-hour class provides an in-depth look at low-intervention birth options. You will learn about the stages of labor, how to labor at home and in the hospital, comfort measures and pain relief options. You will also tour the labor and delivery unit and meet our certified nurse midwives. Breakfast and lunch are provided.
- MyBirth–Birth After Cesarean. This three-hour class is designed for women who are interested in a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC). You will learn about the benefits and risks of VBAC compared to a repeat C-section.
- MyBirth Prenatal Yoga at The Women’s Hospital. Help prepare your mind and body for birth through physical yoga postures, intentional breathing and relaxing meditation. This 75-minute class is taught by a trained prenatal yoga instructor and professional doula who talk about how your body changes during pregnancy and tailors movements to your needs. There is a $15 fee to take this class.
- Infant CPR. Our one-hour course provides lifesaving information and hands-on training for treating infants who are choking or have stopped breathing.
- Sibling Classes. This class is open to children four to eight years old. Our 50-minute sibling classes help your child learn about babies and prepare him or her for becoming a big brother or sister. A parent is required to stay with the child during this class.
- Grandparent Class. This two-hour class helps prepare grandparents for baby’s birth, with up-to-date information on baby care and equipment.
The Women’s Hospital at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital offers a range of support groups that meet regularly. There is no need to register or call to reserve a spot in one of the following support groups. All support groups always take place at the same time each month/week.
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group. This support group is intended for parents and adult family members who are grieving the death of a baby. Losses include miscarriage, stillbirth, infant death or termination. The group is free and open to anyone in the community. The support group meets on the first Thursday of each month from 6pm to 7pm in the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute.
- Safe Circle RVA. In association with our sister hospital Parham Doctors’ Hospital, we offer support groups for pregnant or postpartum women who are struggling with substance use disorders (SUD). Call us at (804) 289-4972 to learn more about these meetings.
- Moms Supporting Moms. Join us for a monthly support group and educational discussion for pregnant women and new moms who are currently experiencing a substance abuse disorder, in medicated assisted treatment or in recovery. The purpose of this group is to provide women the opportunity to discuss fears, challenges and hopes for pregnancy and beyond in a supportive and respectful environment. This is not a substance abuse treatment group. The group is free of charge, open to the community and meets on the first Wednesday of every month at 10:00am at Henrico Area Mental Health and Developmental Services, 3908 Nine Mile Rd, Henrico, VA 23223.
Videos about our labor and delivery services
To save time during your upcoming visit, pre-register online.