Caring, compassionate pediatric care in Richmond
At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, our pediatric specialists deliver the best care in a comfortable, child-friendly environment. We give Richmond’s youngest residents as pleasant an experience as possible during their hospital stay.
Our pediatric physicians and staff are on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so we are always able to provide you and your family the attention you deserve.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (804) 320-3627 to learn more about pediatric services at Henrico Doctors' Hospital.
Pediatric specialties and amenities
If your child is admitted to Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, you can feel confident knowing we have all of the specialists, departments and technology to provide comprehensive care. Our full range of pediatric services includes:
- Pediatric ER with a board-certified pediatric physician on site 24/7
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) with board-certified pediatric doctors on site 24/7 and a negative pressure/isolation room
- A dedicated floor for children and young adults housing our PICU and acute-care (general pediatric) beds
- Pediatric nurses who are all certified in advanced pediatric emergency care
- Access to pediatric subspecialties
- Onsite, full-service laboratory and point-of-care testing
- Pediatric imaging services, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT)
- Pediatric neurodiagnostic services, including EEG
- Designated family waiting area (including showers)
- A playroom stocked with age-appropriate toys, games, books, movies and video games
- A kitchenette stocked with child-friendly snacks and a refrigerator and microwave to prepare meals from home
- All private rooms
- 24/7 visitation for parents with the option to room-in with their child
- Pastoral care upon request
- Outpatient pediatric speech, occupational and physical therapy
- Wireless internet access
Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
The PICU at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital enables our staff to give critically ill children, or children requiring close observation, the specialized care that their condition requires. Our team of pediatric-intensivist physicians supervises the care of our PICU patients. These pediatric intensivists are available for referral 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and they will update your pediatrician on your child’s care and progress.
If your child’s pediatrician opts to use our hospitalist services, a pediatric hospitalist will manage and direct your child’s care throughout their stay at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, providing around-the-clock care. Our pediatric hospitalists will see your child each and every day he or she is here with us, giving your child personalized attention.
Your pediatrician still plays a vital role in caring for your child while he or she is hospitalized. They will receive regular updates regarding your child’s plan of care and progress. When your child is discharged, a pediatric hospitalist will transition your child’s care back to your pediatrician.
Child life specialist
We know that a hospital can be a scary place for a child. That is why at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital we have taken the extra care to provide the services of a child life specialist. Our child life specialist provides normalization to your child’s hospital stay by presenting opportunities for coping through therapeutic and medical play. We focus on the emotional, social and developmental well-being of your child, as well as providing support for parents, siblings and other family members involved.
We use age-appropriate language and activities to offer individualized preparation and distraction before, during and after procedures, tests and surgery. Our goal is for you and your child to have a positive hospital experience with as little fear and anxiety as possible.
If you would like more information, please contact Megan Cone, MSEd, CCLS, by email at megan.chewning@HCAhealthcare.com or phone at (804) 289-4532.
Pediatric emergency room
When your child needs emergent medical care, we offer the pediatric expertise to care for your child in a warm and caring environment. Our pediatric ER offers a wide array of testing and imaging services on site, including CT scanning, X-ray, fluoroscopy and ultrasound.
Visit our pediatric emergency care page to learn more about symptoms that may require a visit to the pediatric ER.