Award-winning prostate cancer care in Richmond
Nearly one in six men in the U.S. will be affected by prostate cancer at some point in his lifetime. The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital offers minimally invasive treatment options for aggressive cases of prostate cancer. Our goal is to help you return to an active and productive lifestyle. Our hospital has been recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best for Prostate Surgery and as a Five-Star Recipient for Prostate Removal Surgery, and we've received the Prostate Surgery Excellence Award.
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As a member of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Network of Excellence, our family of hospitals features leading-edge cancer treatment and clinical trials. Sarah Cannon offers modern therapies for people facing cancer across the U.S., and our partnership provides patients with personal, individualized care while benefiting from the network of resources Sarah Cannon has to offer.
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, is pleased to offer access to askSARAH, a dedicated helpline designed to help answer your cancer-related questions. Whether you have been recently diagnosed with cancer or have questions about screenings, signs or symptoms, a registered askSARAH nurse can help. Committed to ensuring you have the right resources close to home, our nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 to connect directly to a nurse who can help you today.
Why choose Henrico Doctors' Hospital for prostate cancer treatment?
Our oncology and urological experts offer a full range of services relating to the diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer, including:
- Advanced minimally invasive surgical options, including robotic surgery and laparoscopy
- A multidisciplinary team approach
- Prostate magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), a noninvasive and painless procedure that assists urologists in the early diagnosis, treatment and staging of prostate cancer
- Radiation therapy using intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and fiducial location/marker placement for daily treatment to minimize side effects
- Leading-edge treatment with XOFIGO®, an injection for prostate cancer that is resistant to medical and surgical treatments and has spread to the bones
- Infusion services by chemotherapy-certified nurses
- Nurse navigation, upon request
- Psychosocial-spiritual support and distress assessment by oncology-dedicated social workers and chaplains
- Prostate screening, including a free yearly prostate cancer screening event that takes place every September
- Referral to the American Cancer Society’s prostate cancer support group; call (800) 227-2345 for meeting dates and locations
- Access to clinical trials
- Genetic counseling and testing for high-risk prostate cancer patients
- American Cancer Society Cancer Resource Center
Prostate cancer diagnostic and treatment procedures
We offer further specialized care for prostate cancer through the Center of Excellence for Urological Care at our sister facility Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, a campus of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital. We provide the following diagnostic procedures and treatment options:
- Biopsy: This involves the removal of a sample of tissue to examine for the presence of possible cancer or other disease. This procedure is performed in a variety of ways, depending on the location of the affected tissue.
- Prostatectomy: This is a surgery to treat prostate cancer involving partial or complete removal of the prostate through the use of a minimally invasive procedure. However, some cases of prostate cancer may require traditional open surgery.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): This is a surgery that helps ease or eliminate urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate. TURP is performed with the help of minimally invasive robotic surgery or by using a laser to remove or destroy the excess tissue causing urine flow problems.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Henrico Doctors’ Hospital is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally-trusted care with the support of a globally-recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially-trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.