Expert surgical care in Richmond
At Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, you can expect the latest advances in surgical and endoscopic technologies delivered by the best surgeons and surgical specialists in the region. And, as part of the Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery, we have access to state-of-the-art robot-assisted surgical systems, allowing for better surgical results, less pain and scarring and quicker recovery times for our patients.
Contact our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (804) 320-3627 for any questions about our surgical services.
Surgical expertise you can rely on
All of the surgeons at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital have passed board-certification exams and made voluntary commitments to continue training and testing throughout their careers. Our surgeons share their knowledge by instructing other surgeons across the country, but you can rest assured that the surgical specialists performing your procedure at our facility will be one of our board-certified surgeons, not a resident or student.
Comprehensive surgical services
Our surgical and endoscopic services include:
- On-site anesthesia coverage 24/7
- 18 operating rooms
- Full range of surgical services
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgical program
- Outpatient surgery center
- Private surgical nursing unit
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) program
- General surgery
- ENT surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Urologic surgery
- Neurosurgical spine care
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Comprehensive breast surgery program
- Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery
- Virginia Transplant Center
- Access to post-surgical therapy and rehabilitation
Minimally invasive surgery
Sometimes the need to undergo surgery is unavoidable. As part of our commitment to patient-focused care, our surgeons use the least invasive surgical techniques available to allow the patient the easiest recovery while still providing the most effective treatment. Surgeons at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital perform advanced laparoscopic, endoscopic and robot-assisted surgeries for a wide range of procedures, from cardiovascular procedures to cancer treatment to organ transplants.
Endoscopy is type of minimally invasive procedure that allows your gastrointestinal specialist to look inside your body using an instrument called an endoscope, or scope, with a fiber-optic camera attached. Henrico Doctors’ Hospital offers endoscopic procedures, such as colonoscopy and bronchoscopy, as a safe and effective method to screen for diseases, obtain tissue samples and treat many conditions affecting the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, bile duct and pancreas.
Preparation before surgery
Follow these general guidelines in preparing for your surgery, unless your surgeon or doctor directs you otherwise:
- Stop eating and drinking at midnight the night before your surgery
- Take your prescribed heart, blood pressure, asthma, thyroid, seizure or pain medications, as discussed with your doctor, with just enough water to swallow them
- Talk to your doctor if you are on blood thinners
- Stop insulin the day of your surgery
- Bathe or shower prior to your procedures and don’t apply any makeup or lotion
- Wear comfortable clothing and remove all jewelry (including body piercings)
- Leave valuables, credit cards and money at home
- Bring containers for glasses, dentures or hearing aids, and place these items in their containers before entering the operating room
- Pack a small bag with what you will need for an overnight stay, including pajamas, slippers and toiletries
After your surgery, your doctor will talk with your designated caregivers about your procedure. Depending on the use of anesthetics during the procedure, you may be taken to a post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) to continuously monitor your blood pressure. After you have begun recovery:
- Let your nurse know about any symptoms you experience after your surgery, even if they seem normal, such as dry mouth or blurred vision
- Your doctor or nurse will determine when it is appropriate for you to return home or be moved to a post-operative room to continue your recovery
- Before you are discharged, you will be given written instructions on how to care for yourself at home and who to call with questions you may have during recovery
Don’t hesitate to ask a member of your surgical team if you have further questions about preparing for your surgery or post-surgical care.
More videos about our surgical services
Directions to Henrico Doctors’ Hospitals Surgery Center:
From I-64, take the Glenside Road exit and bear right onto Forest avenue. At the third traffic light, turn left at Discovery Drive. The Forest Medical Plaza building is the first one on the left.
7611 Forest Medical Plaza
Richmond, VA 23229