Level II Trauma Center in Richmond, Virginia
Henrico Doctors' Hospital has the only trauma center in western Richmond, and we are prepared to provide you with the critical attention you need 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our designation as a Level II Trauma Center means we are equipped to provide total care for the most extreme injuries, such as from a car accident, a traumatic fall or a life-threatening wound.
Our trauma center is easily accessible and strategically positioned right off of Interstates 64 and 95. When you have sustained a critical injury, being treated within the “golden hour,” also known as the first hour after a critical injury, could be the difference between life and death.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 immediately. If you are unsure if a condition requires critical care, call our Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627.
Comprehensive care for traumatic injuries
We offer a range of services to make sure every patient in Richmond receives the critical care they need when every second counts. Our Level II Trauma Center offers the following services:
- A specially trained trauma team and board-certified surgeons across varying specialties
- Prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization for critically injured patients
- A helipad for quick transport from an accident to our trauma center or to another medical center, if necessary
- A comprehensive program to regularly review our care standards based on national standards published by the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians
- Ongoing staff education program to ensure we continue to provide high-quality care to the community
- A community outreach program for people in the western Richmond area to help prevent injury
Critical care before you arrive
We partner with emergency medical services (EMS) to provide critical care before you arrive at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital. Richmond EMS plays a vital role in your survival and allows us to anticipate and prepare for your immediate needs upon arrival. In most instances, the EMS staff and our trauma team are communicating and preparing for your arrival.
Trauma care videos
Level II Trauma Center - Henrico Doctors' Hospital
Henrico Doctors' Level II Trauma Center - Dr. Ralph Layman - NBC12 Neighborhood Health Watch