Personalized primary care in Richmond
At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, we are proud to employ and partner with the best providers and primary care physicians in and around Richmond, Virginia. Many of our affiliated primary care doctors offer same-day appointments (such as sick visits), extended weekday and weekend hours and onsite laboratory processing. All of the providers in our network provide high-quality, personalized care and work closely with our hospital and imaging center if your condition requires more specialized attention.
Having a hard time finding the right primary care physician for your family? View primary care providers near Henrico Doctors’ Hospital.
Our primary care services
When you select a primary care provider within the HCA Virginia network, you gain access to a wide range of preventive and medical services, including:
- Complete physical exams
- Wellness and preventive medicine
- Same-day sick visits
- Disease prevention and treatment
- Well-woman care
- Newborn and pediatric care
- Geriatric counseling and services
- School and sports physicals
- Preoperative exams
- Family planning services
- Chronic disease management, such as for diabetes, asthma or arthritis
Preventive care and health screenings
One of the most important things your primary care physician helps facilitate are preventive health screenings, such as those for diabetes, various cancers, blood pressure, cholesterol and other conditions that can develop slowly but evolve into major problems. Your primary care provider is also able to provide annual vaccinations, like a flu shot.
Learn why you should select a primary care provider before your get sick.
Appointments with your primary care doctor
You may visit your primary care physician for a number of different reasons and types of appointments. Each type of appointment carries an allotted amount of time, based on how long it takes to diagnose, treat and advise the patient. The most important time-based designation depends on whether or not you are a “current” or “new” patient.
When you are a new patient, our providers want to get to know you and understand your health background, and, for this reason, appointments are longer and there are fewer of them.
For current patients, your primary care provider can consult on your ailment quickly in a shorter appointment. As a result, there are more current patient appointments available. Same-day visits become a more accessible option when you are an established patient of the practice, streamlining yours and your loved ones’ care.Book your next appointment online now
Types of primary care providers
There are several types of primary care physicians to choose from. Each provider may offer different services and areas of specialization. Your stage of life and healthcare needs will help determine which type of provider is best for you. Here is a quick reference guide to help you understand the different types of primary care providers.
- Pediatricians: These physicians specialize in the treatment of infants, children and adolescents, generally through 19 years old. HCA Virginia-affiliated pediatricians provide comprehensive care for pediatric patients, including immunizations, administering inpatient hospital care, conducting newborn hospital evaluations and same-day sick visits, school physicals and well-child annual check-ups.
- Family doctors: These physicians treat patients of all ages and life stages, from infancy through adulthood. Our affiliated family doctors are experts at preventive wellness, health maintenance exams and health education. Through their broad knowledge base, these providers treat many common problems and diagnose acute and chronic illnesses. Family practitioners also supervise and coordinate issues when complex care is needed, including arranging appropriate referrals for specialty care when necessary.
- Internal medicine/internists: These practitioners care for adults 18 years old and older (although some practices will go as young as 16 years old) by coordinating overall medical care while managing acute medical problems. HCA Virginia internists perform regular preventive health maintenance exams and screening tests. They are trained to deal with all medical problems and are equipped to determine when a referral for specialty care is necessary.
Choosing a primary care physician
Choosing the right primary care doctor for you is one of the best things you can do to optimize your health. Here are some questions to think about when choosing a provider:
- Is the office in a convenient location?
- Do the office hours work with my schedule?
- How easy is it to reach my doctor?
- Can I schedule my visit online?
- Can I pay my bill online?
- Is the office taking new patients right away?
- Will the doctor refer me to specialists for more focused care?
- Does the doctor invite me to be involved with my care?