Respiratory and lung specialists in Richmond
Most people take breathing normally for granted. However, when you're struggling to draw a breath, you realize the importance of a healthy respiratory system. At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, our priority is to treat patients with pulmonary issues by going beyond standard fixes and providing effective, long-term respiratory solutions.
Our pulmonary specialists help our patients to get healthy—and stay healthy—through education, lifestyle changes and access to the latest treatments and therapies. Our team of pulmonologists and respiratory therapists work with you to create an individualized care plan tailored to maximize your long-term health.
Award-winning pulmonary care
At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, our nationally recognized pulmonary care program is committed to providing effective treatment to patients struggling with acute and chronic lung conditions. Our program has been recognized by Healthgrades™ for Five-Star Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
For questions about pulmonary care services at Henrico Doctors' Hospital, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (804) 320-3627.
Pulmonary services we offer
Our experienced pulmonologists and respiratory therapists offer our patients a wide variety of diagnostic and treatment opportunities using the latest technology, including:
- Ventilator management is used by our expert hospital-based respiratory therapists.
- Sleep center diagnostics performed by our specialists who are skilled in diagnosing and treating sleep-related breathing disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea.
- Advanced asthma treatments that include bronchial thermoplasty, an outpatient procedure that delivers precisely-controlled thermal energy to your airways.
- Pulmonary function testing labs perform diagnostic tests to measure lung capacity and gas flow rates, determining how gases are exchanged in the lungs. We test lung mechanics to determine the strength your respiratory muscles can generate, enabling us to develop the best treatment plan for your specific needs.
- Bronchoscopy diagnostic and treatment labs that aid in diagnosing lung diseases and other pulmonary conditions.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation with our pulmonologists and pulmonary rehabilitation team can help you manage symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) through exercise training. Pulmonary rehabilitation may also include education, smoking cessation programs, nutritional counseling and oxygen therapy.
Lung cancer care
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital provides extensive lung cancer care—starting with screenings. If an abnormality is found in screening, we use our extensive imaging services to confirm a lung cancer diagnosis and have access to a range of technologies and procedures for treating advanced lung cancer.
Our multidisciplinary cancer care team ensures each patient receives the individualized treatment he or she needs. Every lung cancer patient has access to our lung cancer nurse navigator who provides support and guidance through treatment and recovery.
Henrico Doctors’ Hospital offers a smoking cessation program and lung cancer support group to provide extra care for people who are at a high risk of developing lung cancer and patients who have received a diagnosis.
Do you have questions about lung cancer care at Sarah Cannon Cancer institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital? Call askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 to connect with a nurse who can help answer all of your cancer-related questions.
Navigational Bronch/Lung Nodule Clinic
The Navigational Bronch/Lung Nodule Clinic at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital is committed to expertly diagnosing, treating and managing lung disease. If you have a spot, or nodule, present on your lung, it is vital to understand its nature, so we can know if treatment and/or removal is necessary.
A lung nodule is defined as a spot in the lungs that is visible on a chest X-ray or computed tomography (CT) scan. More than 50 percent of lung nodules identified on imaging procedures are benign, but tests may need to be conducted to rule out a more serious diagnosis.
At Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, we use Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy™, also known as ENB™, to help diagnose lung disease. ENB™ is a minimally invasive procedure that allows our lung specialists access to hard-to-reach areas of the lung. ENB™ allows your doctor to obtain a sample of the lung nodule to diagnose, stage and prepare for treatment, all at once.
ENB™ procedure steps
- Your CT scan will be converted into a 3D roadmap for your doctor to use.
- Your doctor will use this roadmap to guide a bronchoscope to the nodule identified on your lung.
- Without the need for an incision, your doctor will take a sample of your lung nodule for testing
An ENB™ procedure typically lasts 30 minutes and your sample tissue will be sent off for testing.